Monday, October 01, 2007

Dear Depressed Law Student....

Dear Depressed Law Student sitting next to me at Steam Cafe:

I can't help but overhear your conversation with your (possible but improbable) girlfriend since the tables here are 4 inches apart from each other. Let me start by telling you this: I sympathize. We all do (ok, not the psychos who love every single aspect of 3 years on a law campus, but most of us).

I understand those first few minutes, seeing a good friend to "catch up", sitting there making awkward small talk. Glancing at the menu. Shuffling around nervously. And I understand the dam the size of Hoover that is waiting to burst at the first question of: And how are you really.

I could not help but smile into my Con law II reading on soft and hard originalism as you discussed the "exciting" aspect that you just received approval to teach an 8 week boxing class at the gym on campus, only to then spiral downward to reveal your true levels of depression as you exclaim how it WOULD be great, but they decided to charge for the class. They being, as you further explain, the state of the art gym that is being financed by thousands of student dollars that are masked in our tuition. And to top it off, charging means most likely no one will come.

Ah ha. YOU too, Depressed Law Student, go to my frugal law center. Now I can sympathize even more with your self professed "deep depression. Kind of like a mid life crisis".

Depressed Law Student (Funny, we share the same acronym), let me assure you: it will get better. Even though you state that "you know, my grades aren't that good" and reiterate "I'm just really depressed", believe me--some day you'll be walking down the street and that feeling of deep seeded depression will give way to blanket acceptance of the next decade or so of your life and what you'll be doing.

And trust me, Depressed Law Student, if you think law school is bad, just wait till you get to a firm.

Hugs and Kisses (and look into our discounted, though still inferior, therapy included in our really remarkably poor health care plan),

DLS

No comments: