Friday, September 28, 2007

Observations

So my fabulous world of 17th and T continues to give me more topics to ruminate over as water for pasta boils and the newest episode of the Sopranos waits (eagerly for me!) on pause. As a student, I have spent the last three years recognizing that my schedule is much, much different from most of the folks around me. My first year was consumed by part time work, evening classes, lots of time in the gym, mid-day naps now and then and strolls through the city at 2:30pm when most people were hunkered down for the rest of the long afternoon at work. Living on the Hill, I would occasionally see the housewives walking their babies and dogs but it was pretty quiet mid-day. Nothing was crowded. There was no bustle.

17th and T and all the areas surrounding me are not like this at all. In the last two years I have changed my schedule quite a bit as well--I rarely sleep in or nap, and I aim to get to school around 9am regardless of when I have class during the day. I don't generally leave school until the evening, having realized my productivity increases dramatically the more I am away from my comfy apartment (and the lure of Netflix).

But last Wednesday was a little out of the ordinary. I had errands to run so I took my time getting up and getting to campus and as I strolled down 17th St, I realized something seemed very extraordinary--the sheer number of people wandering around doing the same thing I was. Now, I know this is a very popular area of the city for young folks right now (as evidenced by the rent and difficulty in finding apartments) but good God! Doesn't anyone in this neighborhood work? Ever? During the day? I mean, I felt like I was walking around mid-day on a Saturday. Shorts. T-shirts. Flip flops. Dogs. It was very striking. What does everyone in my neighborhood DO? Could it be that we can all afford the rent because we're all students living on borrowed money? Noooo. I simply don't believe it.

Another observation I've had over the past few months has to do with this city and men. I don't normally discuss men on this, so turn back now should you not want to read my (possibly belligerent) rant...

So I have this group of fabulous single girlfriends here in D.C. And I mean we're really fantastic. Some of us are in law school having had amazing careers and continuing to have amazing careers. Some of us continue to work on the Hill, have played concert piano in one of the most prestigious venues in the United States before reaching puberty, have multiple advanced degrees and hold high level positions for current presidential candidates. We have lived overseas, volunteered in our communities and are all around fantastic individuals. And the group, by and large, is composed of very attractive women. But in this fair city, it proves impossible time and again for us to find lasting or sustainable relationships. It is mind boggling and has become a fairly constant topic of discussion within the group. Often over wine. Lots of wine.

Don't get me wrong--we also see, what CB and I lovingly refer to as the "epidemic", many of our friends settling into lasting relationships ending in marriage. And that's great. But we all wonder whether this phenomenon for us is a curse of the city in which we dwell or something more. There's a great scene in Sex and the City (I know, I kill myself referencing this show as well--how 2002) where one of the characters makes a revelation based on a famous scene from 'The Way We Were"--there are two types of women in the world--there are the boring girls, who, of course, Hubell ends up with, and there are the Katie girls--the ones who are a little bit larger than life, an little harder to tame. On more than one occasion while sipping mimosas on sidewalk cafes here in D.C. on lazy Sunday mornings, we have wondered if this stereotype is indeed true. Are we the Katie girls that are destined to be passed over for the easier and more controlled women? And if we are, should we change?

I believe the answer to the last question is a resounding Hell No! One of the things I adore and admire about my girlfriends is our drive and passion. Our strength of character and depth of emotion that makes it possible to constantly live a life filled with unrestrained laughter and a sense of independence that, well, some women lack. The same self assuredness that allows us to raise our hands, challenge a professor who has a lifetime of legal prestige behind him/her gives us the ability to walk into a crowded room alone and appear completely at ease, or stand up for ourselves eloquently in a professional environment. We don't hide our independence. It's something we celebrate as friends.

I would never change a thing about my girlfriends. Their strength, neuroses, brilliance and power is what draws me to them. I just wonder if it is the same thing that drives potential mates away. I love the sappy moments in television shows where the characters ponder the idea of soulmates. Eh, who knows. The other great thing about my gals that I have failed to mention until now--we're all happy. REALLY happy. With who we are and what we have, regardless of relationship status. But now YOU know that some stereotypes of female brunch conversation actually takes place. For whatever that's worth.

Rant over. Carry on..

No comments: