Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Kindness of Strangers

I am realizing quickly, this semester, how many remarkably obstacles there are in representing an asylum seeker/immigration law. It's fascinating (and often infuriating) and I already believe that I am becoming a better lawyer through the process that our clinic forces us to go through.

One of the greatest challenges I've faced is language issues with our client. My client speaks Kinyarwandan. A little French. A smattering of Swahili. And basic English. It's not easy to find translators, and it can be quite frustrating when you realize (as some of my colleagues have) that they have clients who are really only fluent in a very obscure local language--and that the current translator they have brought has some sort of conflict of interest that will make it difficult to continue to use said translator.

Language barriers aren't new to me--having lived in a village where only about 3000 people in the world spoke out dialect of the language, it can be hugely frustrating. To be in a country where you can't find anyone who can speak the dialect can kill an asylum case. It's a serious issue, and we've all been learning how to deal with it.

When I came home from Peace Corps I joined a couple of the PC listserves. Mali Peace Corps, Peace Corps general, whatever was out there. I have never checked the threads, until I actually needed to post something myself.

This week I have posted 3 dire requests for translators--for my client once and for two other classmates later. The response I've gotten is incredible. I've been put in touch with Nweh, Mina and Kinyarwandan speakers all over the US. I've received words of wisdom, advice, encouragement from people I have never met, but who have been PCVs as well. And I've never been more grateful for the outpouring of kindness from strangers.

In the capitol city, there's a saying: If you throw a stone you'll actually hit two returned peace corps volunteers: the stone will hit one and ricochet off them and end up hitting another. Everyone in this town, it seems, has done Peace Corps. It's not novel or really that interesting at all here. But let me tell you, it has been the most remarkable experience having all of these people who don't know anything about me, step forward and offer their help, or friend's names. All because we each made the decision to spend just over 2 years as volunteers all over the world.

I've often said, and I will continue to say, I would not trade those two years for anything in the world. And frankly, I would do it again in an equally as challenging community. And the experience I've had this week solidifies it even more. Having a group of strangers move to act for my (and my client's) benefit has been profound. And I am grateful to each and every one of them. I think I'll start checking the threads from this point on. You never know when you'll be able to help someone else, and I would hate to miss an opportunity to return some of the kindness I've received from strangers.

No comments: