Sunday, September 09, 2007

Jumping Back In

I realized a few days ago that I had become a little out of touch on here--I did not realize how long it had been since I posted anything! I've started a couple of posts over the past month, but they didn't ever feel quite right for some reason. So I'm trying afresh.

The month of August lived up to everything I had hoped--it was a solid incredible month--getting an offer, finishing work, attending my good friend's wedding, roadtripping to Vermont and spending one of the best weekends I could imagine on the Lake, heading home to my family, going to Maine, and moving into my own place. It amazes me how quickly it all went--but it was perfect. I spent a lot of hours up north considering what my next professional move would be. DC? Chicago? The Firm? It was unsettling a lot of the time, but it was a necessary process for me to go through in my own mind and with those closest to me in order to be sure I would make the right decision. Maine was a large time of inner debate--the Firm, the past 365 days, the decisions made and that would be ahead. I read books and chatted with my parents. I thought a lot of about the former Boy who had occupied my room in the cottage the previous summer with me and the space that has kind of been left behind since the end of the relationship. It was good to have some quiet and to be able to sit on my private porch and watch the ocean and breathe clean air. I felt like myself. I began to feel balanced again--a feeling that was so welcome after a summer that largely left me teetering around trying to remain somewhat close to my zen spot.

So here I am. I'm on my old couch in my new apartment. For a week I have padded around boxes and bags that remain packed until I buy a dresser and tables. But I don't mind, because it's my own place and my own space. I wander around in my undies, and sit in my living room without a tv and listen to the hum of the refrigerator, largely because I CAN. I walk to Whole Foods and Safeway and local coffee shops and pubs. There have been times where I've felt like I was in an entirely new city, even though I have lived here for years.

I've started my final year of law school. The beginning of the lasts. The last first day back, the last painfully high loan application for school (hooray!). It feels good to be back on campus with friends and academic stimulation. It's jarring to realize how quickly the time has passed, but it seems to be that way with everything as of late.

I looked out my window the other day and realized the days have gotten a lot shorter than the last time I had noticed. I always have a slightly nostalgic feeling as one season fades and another emerges. It's like the lyrics from that great song by Dar: "Summer ends and we wonder where we are, and there you go my friends with your boxes in your car". The feeling of change, movement, re-evaluation. It's never a bad thing, but it does sometimes cause one to pause.

So things in the nation's capital are good right now, and life remains pleasant.

1 comment:

GirlTuesday said...

i was driving home yesterday, around 4:30, and for the first time, i noticed how long the shadows are now; hold golden the light is at this very early hour. i'm not sure when this happened. it always seems to sneak up.

ps. yay for last year! enjoy.