Sunday, November 25, 2007

It's Starting...

I love the holidays, particularly after spending so many of them away from home in the past 5 years. I spent Thanksgiving in North Carolina with my sister and her husband, the first guests in their new house and town. H and I drove down together--leaving late on Tuesday night to miss traffic. It worked. We made it to Richmond in less than 2 hours and to J's house in less than 4.5.

We had a lovely 4 days in the south--it was fantastic to be able to hang out with the newlyweds and Lola the Dog--we cooked and drank wine, enjoyed the gorgeous Thanksgiving weather, and had a girls day out on Friday. Coming back to DC felt good since it's always good to be home, but I realized in less than 18 hours since arriving home what the next month brings.

In one month, I will be finished with my 7th semester of law school. I will have one left. In one month, I will have my first issue of the Journal for which I am managing editor at the printer on the way to distribution. I will be preparing to represent my first client on their last effort to gain asylum in the United States. I will be home in Vermont, sitting with my entire family in front of the fire, celebrating Christmas.

This is that time of the semester where the last few months start to feel like they are crushing in around you, when the folks at Starbucks learn my name and favorite drink and often give me my third soy Americano with an extra shot free in the evening, when going to the gym for an hour is the absolute highlight of the day because you can mindlessly watch tv and clear your brain and not feel badly about it, when I do my 20 hours on, 4 hours off schedule that I like to call bootcamp, and when I dream about Securities Regulations, Con Law II and Corporations at night and going home for Christmas during the day.

But let me tell ya, going through it all makes the holidays so much sweeter, so bring in on!

**Did I mention it also kind of makes you insane? Yeah, 7 exam periods later I might be permanently scarred.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so nice you could go to t-day with your gf! you bringing her to xmas? she better hook it up with the yankee swap. ;)

Purposeful Wanderer said...

Yes, my heterosexual life partner and I have certainly been spending a lot of time together, though I'll have to cut her loose at xmas--we will be back together for new years. One of us needs to start dating someone. Stat.

I like the ever changing aliases..keep me on my toes ;)