Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Does Anyone Else See The Problem With This?

Ok--quick post to follow up on later but wanted to share now since I felt like I was in an alternate universe reading it. (I do this in the middle of my decedents' estates class where we're talking about Medicare Spend-down. Someone just asked if this was going to be on our closed book exam. Father O'Brien's response: "Well, if you can work it into the rule against perpetuities it is!" Awesome. But I digress...)

So--check out this BBC Article. Yes, my hiatus on talking about Africa, refugees, and my paper has ended (start rejoicing folks).

Here is one of DLS's favorite parts:

On the state of Oil in Sudan, according to the Sudanese business man: "This is the best situation we've had in 20 years". Really? This is the best situation you've had in 20 years? Hundreds of thousands of people perishing to the north in your country and you're psyched about pretty hotels and oil? Now I get it. How can anyone expect the rest of the world to give a damn about that region called Darfur if you don't. That makes sense. Keep pumping that oil. By the time the crisis is Darfur is over you'll have ridded yourself of all those pesky peasants in the north so you can finalize your vision of "Africa's Dubai".

There are more gems in this article (see: discussion of US sanctions. Don't even get me started on this) but wow. Let this one marinate and tell me whether you feel a little squeamish about the whole thing.


No comments: