Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Tribute

In 1995, I was a junior in high school at the Northfield Mount Hermon School in western Massachusetts. I spent four years immersed in one of the most fantastic environments for education. I lived with my teachers and friends in a place where there was never a lack of encouragement and support. 

We had choices in the classes that we took, choices that extended beyond what language we decided to study, and we had limited choices in the teachers who taught the subjects we were most drawn to. One of the classes where there was little or no choice was English class. At the start of each year we would tear into our schedules with anticipation to see who we would be spending the next year of the academic year with in English class. Some teachers were infamous for their English classes. One of those women was Audrey Sheats. 

Audrey was known as being tough. Really tough. And not just in the assignments she gave, but in a tough love kind of way. I remember my heart sinking when I opened my schedule on an otherwise perfect September afternoon at registration to see that it was with Audrey that I would spend the next year of English class with. Thankfully, my roommate and best friend Erin was also placed in her class so I knew I would have solace in at least her presence. 

The first book Audrey assigned was The Sound and The Fury. The first assignment was merely chapter one. Sa-weet, I thought, chapter one? That's it? How can she possibly be as bad as everyone says? But I was young and naive and had never read any Faulkner, let alone a book like The Sound and The Fury. 

Walking into her class that first day I saw a group of faces who were equally as confused as I. What, on earth, was that chapter about? And didn't she know we were juniors in high school and not English lit majors in college???? I began to get the sinking feeling that I was in for a year of..well...hell. 

How delightfully wrong I was. Audrey lived up to her reputation of being remarkably difficult in terms of how she stretched and exercised our brains. An hour in her class was exhausting, but over the course of the first weeks of the semester, I realized just how lucky I was to be part of this experience. She was hard because she knew just what 16 year old brains are capable of when given the right coaxing. She was hard because she lived and breathed and loved the books she chose. We meandered through the Sound and the Fury, A Yellow Raft on Blue Water and myriad other titles she chose for us that year. Over spring break, we chose our own book to read and do an independent study for. I chose Love in the Time of Cholera, mostly because of her suggestion to me. Gabriel Garcia Marquez continues to be one of my favorite authors to this day. 

I found myself, over the course of the year, looking forward to class with Audrey. I knew never to arrive unprepared or I would face the wrath of her stern verbal lashings. Toward the end of the year, when students were deciding whether to apply for some of the AP classes NMH offered, Audrey approached me and asked about my plans for AP English. I remember looking down and saying I had not really thought about it, but didn't think I would get in. Her eyes lit up and she took my hand and told me how wrong I was. That it was in Louise Schwingle's AP English class the following year that she saw me. I lacked confidence in those days, but she reached me. She believed in me, and she told me that. She said it would be a waste of a year if I did not try. 

Lo and behold, it was in Louise's class where I found myself the following September. Just as Audrey has envisioned. And it was another breath taking year of a class with another woman who I've come to realize meant to much in my continued education. When I sat for the AP exam toward the end of my senior year, I wrote my essay on Love in the Time of Cholera and scored a 5 on the exam, all thanks to Audrey. 

I read, with a very heavy heart, this morning that Audrey passed away this past January. It gave me great pause and allowed me a chance to reflect on the four years I spent at NMH, the people who have continued to influence me, and the profound loss her passing is on the community. Audrey was tough and passionate and caring and intellectual and supportive. She inspired confidence in me and she will be missed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Molly, I graduated from NMH in 93. I just heard about Audrey passing last night at the Rhodes Center Grand Opening. I was shocked and immediately burst into tears hearing that Audrey was no longer with us.

I, too, had the SAME experience with Audrey. I struggled yet loved The Sound and the Fury and to this day, A Yellow Raft is my favorite book. I did an independent study with Audrey my senior Spring and I wrote my next 'chapter' of the Who Am I? paper I wrote as a 9th grader. I appreciated the ability to add some closure to my NMH career as well as have the one-on-one with Audrey. For the 6 years after I graduated I would send her another chapter, to keep her updated on my life, the last being right before I got married.

My Jr. year at NMH, Audrey was involved in an accident that left her pelvis broken and she lived in the infirmary to convalesce. She held her classes there and while it was obvious that she was not the most comfortable, she didn't miss a beat.

My grandmother passed away that Spring and God love Audrey, she traveled in a wheelchair to Northampton to pay her respects. I will never forget that about her.

Did she have your class show up one day as a character from one of the books you read? I showed up as the grandmother from Yellow Raft with my hair in a beehive, a purple bra and overalls.

The last time I saw Audrey in person was March of 2004 when her former student and the sister of my best friend, Carrie Marsh, died in a car accident. She spoke at Carrie's funeral representing the School and it was so nice and comforting at that time to hear her soothing and funny voice.

Thank you for your post (found it while googling Audrey), I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you will join me in re-reading The Sound and the Fury.

Molly Goggins Talbot '93

Anonymous said...

What an auspicious date! That is the same year you dog was born!

Elka said...

Today is the anniversary of my mother Audrey's death. I googled her name to gain a broader appreciation of who she was to people around her. Thank you for sharing your memory on the web.
Sincerely, Elka T. Love