Thursday, April 24, 2008

The End of an Era...or Something

I have finished all classes I will ever take while in law school today, and it feels great, if not a little anticlimactic.

It's strange to think that all of the knowledge that law school provides has been given to me, and now it's my job to figure out what to do with it. It's strange to think that I won't be returning to school next fall, I'll be beginning my professional career. And it's strange to think that so many of my friends will be dispersing throughout the U.S. in the next few weeks and months.

I've said this before, and I continue to feel this way, I like the endings of things almost as much as the beginnings. There is a great sense of accomplishment in closing the book on a very formidable experience and moving forward to something different, possibly better, but certainly challenging.

This has been a remarkable 3 years. I've met some of the greatest people in the world, I've lived and worked in a refugee camp on the border of Somalia, studied in London, questioned myself, fell in love with a boy, have been challenged intellectually, sat in a room with one of the most well known Supreme Court Justice's, represented my first client, was betrayed by my first client, lost the love of the boy because of my own bad decisions, found a mentor, landed a job, worked with Darfurian rebels on their negotiation skills, and found my voice.

I'm proud of myself. And I feel great about this accomplishment.

5 comments:

armo said...

Congratulations!!! Finishing law school is a huge accomplishment, not to mention with positive feelings. I was convinced that I would implode from all the stress of everything that was yet to come. So you are off to a great start.

gusano rojo said...

Allow me to speak for everyone when i say that you totally KICK ASS! also, if you need any ideas as to where to go from here, i have a ton of suggestions. for instance: Ninja, Concert Pianist, Railway Hobo, TV/VCR Tech, Michael Clayton, Sarah Connor, Major Tom, Batman, Batwoman, Batboy (no relation), Batgirl, Gilmore Girl, Charmed, ect... you get the point. whatever you decide tho, feel free to continue amazing us. much <3 from the west side!

GirlTuesday said...

yay for you friend! congrats!!!

(but ENJOY these last few weeks, 'cause the summer is going to suck. boo.)

nunya bidness said...

I think gus rojo has hit on something there - ninja concert pianist!

go em! but too bad yr not coming to Seattle...

misselenaus said...

congratulations, em! you are amazing in your perseverance and dedication. i cannot fathom the amount of energy it must have taken-- i am so proud of you, cuz! i wish i could have made it to dc for your graduation; i will be thinking of all of you with pride and love. my mom would be bubbling over with happiness for your accomplishments and we all know you will go on to great things (but my dream has always been to be a ninja concert pianist; how ever did any one else come up with that?!)