Saturday, June 16, 2007

Things DLS Is Thankful For

I know it's not November. But come on, sometimes it's good to reflect on the...good.

Sometimes my posts can be kind of downers. I know this, it's kind of the way it is, because sometimes life can be a downer. And I worry, at times, because this is a snapshot of what I am thinking about at any given moment, and I hate to alarm people.

But then there are the times when those snapshots are more panoramic than I care to admit. I have these great friends who comment on here--and I adore that. And then I have my family. None of whom have crossed the comment border. But I get emails from them, effectively commenting on posts. Last night I got many.

We all get lost every now and then in our own lives. It's inevitable. I use my gals, my darlings, my loves, as compasses. I am remarkably fortunate to have them. And sometimes I feel very very far from the rolling hills of Vermont. From the wisdom I gained in the farmhouse in which I was raised. But other times, like today and last night, I have a moment of clarity as to where I have come from, and why I am who I am.

I love my family. I always have. I always will. I love that I come from 2 people who are as unjudging and supportive as my parents. I adore my siblings. I bask in the friendship my sister and I have developed, sometimes painfully, over the years. I am humbled by their support and honesty. I am guided by their peace and wisdom. And I feel free to be who I am, without apology or struggle because of their strength that they impart on me.

I do, I feel lonely right now. But I never feel alone. And it's because, sometimes in the quiet night when only the crickets are chirping in our fields outside the house, I get a note of steady and unwavering support from my family. I can hear my mom's sing song voice reminding me of the beauty of the day, my dad's wit and sarcasm and always adoration of the prospect of learning and growth, my sister's slow, steady and solid voice of reason, and, every now and then, my brother's jovial pat on the shoulder and I know, I am comforted knowing ,that no matter what path I travel, I will never be alone.

This has been a tough week, a tough day in DLS's world. Work, friends, life. It's never easy. I hope it's often rewarding, but sometimes it's just one big struggle. But I know no matter what is happening, no matter where I am, no matter what my paycheck or loan payment is, I will always have home. And for that, I am thankful.

2 comments:

Law-Rah said...

Beautiful post :-)

Katinka said...

I really appreciate this post...strange timimg, actually, because on my drive into work tonight I decided that I want to focus on being grateful for what I have. Thanks for this reminder!